Wednesday, May 5, 2010

The time capsule that is Mom's closet - pt. 2 - 1930s


Here's the second in a series of posts about clothing I found at my mom's house.

I wore this vintage 1930's house dress a lot in high school.  It has the sweetest puffed sleeves, a ruffled collar, functional buttons down the front and a waist cinching sash.  It is truly magic.  One of the most flattering dresses I have ever owned.  I know it doesn't look like a lot here, or in person from that matter, but on the body it just does everything right.

I bought it at a Salvation Army in Chicago that I loved at the time (long gone now).  I remember I used to love it because it was dirt cheap and full of vintage.  I used to leave with garbage bags full of clothing for $20.

From the moment I bought it, it was on its way out.  The fabric was deteriorating and would rip every time I wore it, but I really didn't care.  I'd just keep some safety pins in my bag and stitch it up when I got home.

The most memorable place I ever wore it was in 92 or 93 to a video shoot for the band Tub Ring , in some odd space by North Park Mall in the Chicago suburbs.    I remember spending a good part of the evening being talked up to some guy whose necklace I liked.  It was a Fimo clay and crystal monstrosity.  He liked me, I liked the necklace.  I left with the necklace and I never saw him again.  I felt bad afterwards, and I still kinda do.  Man did I behave like a little snot.

5 comments:

  1. This is a really cute dress. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the memories clothing can hold. Like a song that can take you back, for me it's a dress. I dream of one day being an old woman and laying under a quilt made of these memories. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this dress!! It reminds me of a lemon dress my mom wore as her "going away" outfit after her and dad got married. So simple, a little A-line, just gorgeous. I wish I had this dress (yours) and mine so they could get together and make magical dress babies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. note to self: i can resticth this bad boy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everyone!

    Coedith- That is exactly how I feel, but I still can't quite bring the scissors to this frock.

    Jennerific - I'd love to see pics.

    Erin - The problem is the fabric is rotted. Once you patch it, it just rips somewhere else. It was worth the risk though!

    ReplyDelete