Sunday, July 19, 2009

Am I the only one that doesn't like etsy?




I love the idea, I love the fee structure, I love seeing kooky handmade items that I've never seen before, I even love the little "heart" thing.

What I cannot get over is searching. It is useless! I stop by every once in a while to try to unearth a fun treasure and I get sick of it almost immediately. Sure the little square pictures are cute, but the titles are all cut off and people seem to use the 3 most useless words for the first words of their their titles. The whole "tags" things makes sense in theory, but many sellers use tags that seem to have nothing to do with the item.

I know many see it as the future of selling vintage clothing, if it annoys me this much as a buyer, I can't deal with it as a seller.

As much as ebay has wrong with it, it is soooo much easier to shop for something specific.

Am I missing something? Please educate me!

....photo above from last weeks photo shoot. I just wanted to give y'all a little eye candy for reading my pathetic rant!

9 comments:

  1. Etsy drives me bonkers. I've literally sat on that site for THREE HOURS and found nothing.
    It's mind-boggling!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are 100% correct about the suck-ass searching. I just use really non specific searches like '1950's dress' or 'yellow hat'. What REALLY bugs me is how many garments are from the 70's and 80's. I have no problem with that, but I hate it when they come up in my 'vintage' searches. I know, I know, that is a super picky thing. I just wish Etsy would update it's search engine. I mean hello- I know they are making money hand over fist. Whatevs.

    Oh, your outfit is awesome btw.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of my favorite parts of online vintage shopping is finding the flawless 1940s dress listed as 70s for $8.00 or the 1920s dress also flawless for $18.00 and that's why I enjoy Etsy. The tags and titles are so random and vague that it's a hunt. I can completely understand why people get frustrated with it. Especially if you're looking for something specific.

    I always do the search like this:
    1940s dress -baby -pattern -doll -girls

    It's annoying that you have to minus out things you don't want to see. They should just be in separate categories!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i search for eras on things I want.. like "40s" or "1940s"

    I hate searching on ebay, while its nice that the break it into eras, most of the stuff is listed wrong anyway.
    I HATE bidding snipers and I hate how outrageous prices get on ebay. So I MUCH prefer buying on etsy.

    That, and selling is WAY easier to list and it is way more cost effective. that is why I sell there.
    plus they dont have that CRAZY ebay seller rating "best match" crap..which is way nice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I sell on Etsy but still find that I shop more on Ebay cause the search does sadly suck.I've found the only way to get people to find my items is I have to personally promote the hell out of myself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Youa re absolutely correct about the SE on Etsy, altho Ebay's is almost as bad. I do not like to look for most recently listed items either...which is Etsy. Ebay does not always put all their items in the searches either. Frankly, if you use Google, you'll get better results!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, Nicole. TY for popping over for a visit. Whoa! do I remember those 'vintage' fashions all too well. Both etsy & ebay have heavy downfalls, unfortunately. I have my own websites because of this. Hope you'll be back by for another visit. TTFN ~Marydon

    ReplyDelete
  8. Arrrgh! I totes agree! Vintage housewares is my usual search because narrowing it down has proven fruitless.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with you! My mom is trying to set up a shop right now and I feel like there has to be a better way! I love your site! Keep up the great work! Kori xoxo

    ReplyDelete